Friday, February 29, 2008

Earn the right to be heard...

It's a saying that is popular in youth ministry circles... build relationship so they will listen to what you have to say. It's a good saying when it comes to youth ministry, but I believe it's a good saying for every aspect of life. At least it is rule I've lived by.

Every time I've taken a new job, I've had this rule... don't offer your opinion or advice for the first year. (That is unless someone is doing something that is just flat out wrong.) That's the attitude I've had at every job. When I got hired at Prince, JCI, Plante Moran, Harlem, Bella Vista Church, Lakeshore Vineyard, even my first job at Hollandia dairy, my approach was to built trust by doing what I said I was going to do. I worked hard, extra hours if needed, and built up trust. I produced results. I accomplished projects. I helped others when needed. All without saying, we should do this, or it would be better if we did .....

I believe that one gains a lot more respect and earns the right to be heard if they let their actions speak first. Too often I think we are quick to speak and slow to listen, when really it should be the other way around. When taking a new job, just listen. Listen for the first year. Then start to speak, if the opportunity presents itself. And while you are doing this, listening, produce results. Finish projects. Do things people want you to do. Pretty much, do what people tell you to do, and do it well! This will earn you the right to be heard. It has in my life. I'm amazed by some of the questions people ask me, and I think it all came from me being willing to put in the work and not run my mouth all the time.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Dave, what an excellent post! I couldn't agree more (albeit, keeping my mouth shut isn't EXACTLY my strong suit).

Kendra said...

You are so right! I tend to like the phrases: find your voice and get a seat at the table...however, in order to do that, you must know your stuff, which means researching, studying and knowing information about that conversation --

hope you guys are well! have a great day