Monday, August 04, 2008

Sunday Night (Actually Monday Morning) Reflections...

  • I laid an egg this morning when I spoke. I don't know what happened, but I stunk it up! I don't want to hear that I'm being to hard on myself, because I did stink it up! I should have known something wasn't right because I was struggling with the message on Saturday night. I think the problem was I tried to change up a message I gave a few years ago, and the flow wasn't there and I never felt comfortable. I was so frustrated after the service. I felt that I disappointed people in a huge way, and what bugs me even more is I feel I disappointed God. Today was a day when I was bummed we didn't have two services. I would have like another crack at it. Atleast I get another crack at it in seven days. I apologize to everyone who was there - that was bad.
  • After the service yesterday I wanted to go sit in my basement, watch tv, and not talk to anyone. But that didn't happen, and I'm glad it didn't. My family and I went to my friend Joe's house and had a great afternoon. We ate some great chicken and potato salad, swam in the pond, and picked blueberries. It was a great afternoon and it rejuvenated me! Thanks Joe!
  • The day got even better when I went to church for a prayer meeting. I don't usually attend these, but I went because the other pastor was out of town. There was only one other person at the prayer meeting, and we had a great time. In fact, it was one of the best prayer meetings I've ever been at. There was no agenda. We simply prayed and it rocked. What Jesus said is true - wherever there are two or three gathered, there I am. Jesus was there, and we had a great time praying. It was the quickest hour I've ever experienced.
  • You can't lead if people don't trust you. No matter how great of a leader you are, if trust is not there, then you can't lead. Trust is essential to leadership. I might share more about this later.

4 comments:

Josh said...

it wasn't that bad. I think it impacted some people. I was zoning a bit (sorry). I did notice it seemed a bit different but I just thought it was me. But don't worry...

Matt Yount said...

I'm not going to say you are being too hard on yourself because you said not to say that. But I do know we tend to be our own worst critics. Everyone is entitled to a bad day at work, so are you. Not every hit is a homerun. That's okay. Just don't stop coming up to bat. Do your part, the best you can, and leave the results up to God.

If it helps, I'm not convinced I was all that "impactful" up here in the stick either!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty. I may just go back to "Church" someday.

Anonymous said...

Dave, I am with Matt. We usually are our own worst critics. My wife came home and said it was one of the best sermons she had heard in awhile. I have an idea. I say you pop a couple of handfulls of blueberries before your next message. I think all of those antioxidants will help you:) And a couple of handfulls after the meassage. Preferably right off the bush.
Joe P