Saturday, January 31, 2009

Interesting trend...

Every week I listen to about 5 messages from pastors around the country. I usually listen to these messages while running, which means I can exercise my body and my mind at the same time. Usually, I listen to one of the following guys while I workout...

Francis Chan - Cornerstone
Mark Driscoll - Mars Hill Church (by the way - he has a researched who helps him with his messages. That is cool. Anyone want to be my researcher?
Perry Noble - Newspring Church
Erwin McManus - Mosaic Church
Scott Hodge - The Orchard
Rob Bell - Mars Hill Church
Steven Furtick - Elevation Church
Jay Pathak - Arvada Vineyard

I know not all of them agree with each other, but it's fun to hear from different perspectives. As I've been listening to them lately though I've noticed an interesting trend. Most of these pastors are really diving into a book of the Bible instead of bouncing around. Some of them have or will spend an entire year in one book of the Bible. I just thought this was interesting and goes with the research Willow Creek did which showed people wanted to understand what the Bible says and crave in depth studies of the Bible. Here are the books of the Bible these pastors have been teaching out of...

Francis Chan - Philippians and 2 Timothy
Rob Bell - Philippians (All last year)
Mark Driscoll - 1 & 2 Peter (First 7 months this year)
Perry Noble - Mathew 5-7 (6 months this year)
Erwin McManus - Psalms

Anyway, I just found that interesting - preachers really diving into a book of the Bible instead of bouncing around all the time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This video reminds me so much of you and your mentors you mentioned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb9DF16Fx8k&eurl=http://www.steveandkathygray.com/whatshappening/emmy_award_winner.php?press=1

Dave Roberts said...

Seeker Sensitive? Have you ever heard Perry Noble preach? Have you ever heard Steven Furtick preach?

I dont' think your video really matches the men I listen to?

Anonymous said...

How sad you are to radical for the reformed, but far to Baptist-Reformed for the Vineyard compared to John Wimber. No offense but, Who are you Dave?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mister or Ms. Anonymous,
If you're going to say something dumb, at least use the word "too" properly. It makes me wonder if you're unedumicated. I'll go ahead and post anonymously. I have a blogger id, but it's way more fun being critical with no accountability!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can see how a typo would make one "unedumicated." Wow, your vast knowledge of grammar makes us all stand up and clap. So when has asking a honest question reduced someone to "Dumb?" Oh, I see...you must be a liberal democrat.

Anonymous said...

Be nice now. This is a very uplifting blog that I....along with many others I am sure....enjoy reading. We may not all agree with one another or Mr. Roberts......but is this what Jesus would do? I think not. Be respectful. There is enough negativity in the world without tarnishing the good people of God are trying to share.

MelissaLB said...

Anonymous apparantly has issues with you listening to sermons from different perspectives.
They also, apparently, have issues with liberal democrats.

You have issues with bad grammar. And issues with people leaving hurtful statements without naming themselves.

I have issues too. I get upset that the person leaving these comments apparantly doesn't understand how you live out your faith daily with strength and compassion.

Anonymous said...

since we are all posting anonymously...I too will join. not usually a "follower" but hey...this is so fun!
Just wanted to say to please be careful when listening to Rob Bell...I have been studying him, and find him to be a little (alot) new age...and a little creepy. I think its wonderful to listen to lots of different pastors, so BRAVO for that!!!! But...you do have to be careful who you choose to follow. just seriously...be careful. My pastor at NEVER says anything bad about other fellow pastors and he has come out about Rob Bell saying the same thing. We go to another very large church in Grandville.
He may be a wolf in sheeps clothing. If you find him ok...then, thats your thing...but at least think about what Im saying. :)
have a good day...I think your a good guy Dave!!