Sunday, February 03, 2008

South Africa Update...

I’m three days into my South Africa journey (one whole day spent on a plane - my rear end is still sore), and things have been exciting. Here are some of my thoughts so far…

  • I watched “Into the Wild” on the plane ride over and I loved this quote from the movie - “Happiness is only real when shared.” This trip so far has been nothing but pure happiness because it has been shared with people I love - my wife and my friends.
  • I hate jet lag. I slept a total of 3 hours last night, because I was wide awake from sleeping 7 hours on the plane.
  • People at church this morning knew how to dance, and they were into it. And they didn’t have a huge band… all they had was a little keyboard. It was fun to see their dance routines, and to see them march around with their Bibles in the air.
  • The church in South Africa really invests in the next generation. There were numerous teenagers who were serving in the church, and taking active leadership responsibilities. At the end of every service they take time to pray over the children in their church. I wonder what would happen if we did that?
  • I was honored to preach at Soweto Vineyard Church. My message had to be stripped way down. No illustrations. No tv clips. Just straight teaching from he Bible. It was fun.
  • Two men accepted Jesus today and had communion for the first time. One of them served me communion. I was honored to be served communion by one of these young men.
  • I went to the apartheid museum today, and it made me sick to my stomach. Talk about hell on earth -- that was it. I can’t believe we separated people just because of the color of their skin. It made me ask, in what ways do we segregate people today.
  • I take too many things in America fro granted… like unlimited high speed Internet. It was a pain figuring out the Internet thing here. We did get it figured out, but it was a headache.
That’s about it. Here are some pictures from the trip so far.

Ceci and Dave hard at work...
I went to South Africa and I ate at KFC for lunch. How lame is that?

No comments: