Thursday, January 08, 2009

I love this picture...

This past Christmas Elliana got a sewing machine, and a few weeks ago Ceci sat down with her to teach her a few things and sew a quilt. Elliana was so excited to sew. She talked about it for days, and is still talking about the experience. In fact, this morning she said her favorite memory was sewing with her mom. That is so cool!

This got me thinking. Really what Ceci was doing was discipling Elliana in the area of sewing. She is teaching her what her mom taught her. Ceci is passing along her knowledge to the next generation of sewers, and I love it.

As followers of Jesus, we are instructed to do the same. Jesus said, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28 & Mark 16) We are to teach people everything we know about Jesus.

As I thought about this passage and about Ceci “discipling” Elliana, I was challenged by this question, “who am I discipling?” Am I discipling my children? Am I discipling other people? Am I discipling those who know nothing about Jesus? We are instructed to make disciples and teach people everything we have learned. The question is, are we?

No comments: