Friday, December 28, 2007

My life in 2007...

This Sunday at lvc we are going to look back on 2007. So, in the spirit of looking back and remembering, I thought I would take some time and reflect on 2007 and share my favorite memories/entires from 2007. This is one of the reasons I love to blog. It challenges me to keep a record of all my experiences and thoughts throughout the year. So, without further adieu, here are my favorite memories/posts from 2007...

  • I started the year asking why do people go to church. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure that out, but I think it has a lot to do with being restored and having hope for the future.
  • My wife's first project was this. It continued here.
  • I enjoyed speaking at camp Geneva's winter retreats. Oh yeah, I broke a brick during this retreat. I never thought I could do that. Wait a minute. On week two of the retreat I broke two bricks.
  • I enjoyed a day at pre-school. That was an experience.
  • My friends, Joe and Amyjo, adopted Max. That was a cool thing that happened this year. It's been fun getting to know this little boy.
  • My kids are getting big.
  • Cleaning is spiritual for me.
  • Running is spiritual for me too. It clears my head.
  • Be there.
  • I recoded my first ever podcast. They were actually pretty good.
  • I'm selfish.
  • I really liked Blake from American Idol. However, I haven't purchased his CD yet. Again, I was impressed with Blake.
  • I taught my child to throw up in the toilet. I'm proud of that one.
  • I can get a lot of work done when no one is around. But I do love to have people around.
  • I'm a procrastinator.
  • I changed some things up this year. But, in the end I didn't change too much. I need to change more in 2008. Do things differently.
  • I traveled with 150 teenagers to do hurricane Katrina relief. That was an experience. Here are some pictures. More pictures. Some more here. And more. And more. That was a great experience.
  • April 16, 2007 was a sad day.
  • Spring is wonderful in Michigan. I can't wait until Spring 2008.
  • I started a new hobby. I can't wait to go on more bike rides in 2008.
  • Funny biking story. I fell the first time I went out on my bike. Plus it was cold biking in the morning.
  • I didn't get much sleep on April 27.
  • Another funny biking store. A lady in a Buick yelled at me.
  • Still liked Blake in May.
  • Things can get crazy when you work with teenagers, but you have to go with it.
  • Got a fun new toy this year. Well, at least I had fun running behind it.
  • Mallory turned two.
  • You can always talk down the cost of cable with the cable guy.
  • It's not a lot of fun to ride your bike with your brakes rubbing. I guess the same can be said of life.
  • I tried to get organized at home. This calendar didn't work. We now have a dry erase calendar on the wall that is working pretty good.
  • Youth ministry is simple. I learned that from Manuel Campins.
  • I voted for Jordin. In the end I turned on Blake.
  • I still enjoy working with teenagers.
  • I'm getting better at organizing my thoughts. Yes, the moleskine journals have helped. I even have a nice small one that I carry around with me all the time.
  • I attended a tigers game with the family. By the end of the year I would have attended three Tiger's games.
  • I spent a lot of time landscaping my daughters' playhouse. It was worth every minute.
  • Usually when I preach, there is food after the service. In July it was cake and in November it was doughnuts.
  • I have some dreams in my life.
  • My wife was in a movie this year. That was fun.
  • Money changes everything.
  • We had a great time camping with friends. Yes, we were actually successful at camping this year. We didn't let previous failure stop us from going this year.
  • I'm still sporting my fauxhawk.
  • Built a sandbox. Here are the pictures to prove it. And it was a hit, because the girls played in it all summer.
  • Elliana's first baseball game. Priceless.
  • Things I wish I would have done earlier... pt. 1
  • Procrastinated again.
  • Signed up to go to Africa. I can't believe it is happening in a month.
  • Children's ministry is not my place.
  • Things I wish I would have done earlier... pt. 2
  • I need to relax. It's ok to get sand on the grass.
  • Things I wish I would have done earlier... pt. 3
  • Matt and Susie got married.
  • My wife is awesome.
  • My blog is rated PG because the word sex appears once and death appears twice. This is still a better rating than my father-in-law's blog. His blog is rated R. It appears he likes to talk about death. By the way, my blog is now down to G. It's safe for the whole family.
  • Still procrastinating.
  • Found a new office. I haven't been back enough.
  • Started to come up with a plan for youth ministry.
  • I became an intern again... after 10 years in youth ministry.
  • I like watching Newport Harbor.
  • Annie and Jeremy got married. Yeah!
  • Kill moles right away.
  • Things I wish I would have done earlier... pt. 4
  • Elliana began kindergarten.
  • I received one of my favorite gifts of all time.
  • I continue to tackle my hill.
  • Elliana turned five, and I made some treats for her class.
  • Relationships matter, and this was a great reminder.
  • One can learn a lot from watching an episode of the Office. Hopefully a new Office episode will be coming soon.
  • Picked pumpkins.
  • Felt really appreciated.
  • Got back into cutting hair. Just like college.
  • Who am I influencing? It can make a difference.
  • Patience can be hard.
  • The fires in California were bad and hit home for me.
  • I love apple's customer service. I hate Sprint's and Gap's customer service.
  • Teenagers know how to multi-task.
  • My neighbor is insane, but he did get rid of all of his leaves.
  • I didn't blog much in November. I made up for it in December. November was a crazy month and I was grumpy.
  • I enjoyed Rob Bell's Tour... The God's aren't angry. You don't have to live like this.
  • The teens at lvc blew me away this December. Here's why. And why. And why, one more time.
  • We continue to teach our children, and they listened... sometimes.
  • I had the priviledge to chat with teenagers about Jesus at 1:30 in the morning. It went great. Thanks YFC! Since doing this I've heard that 23 teens accepted Jesus that night. How cool is that!
  • Got advice from an older pastor.
  • Laughter helps. If you haven't laughed in a while, you need to.
  • Next year I want to do this for Christmas.
  • I need to learn how to manage my time in 2008.
  • I got zits again.
  • Another great gift.
  • Everyone needs time with a mentor.
  • There's nothing like doing to a dance recital with your daughter.
  • Set some goals for 2008. I hope I achieve them.
  • Built my daughters Christmas present. They liked it, but they like the purchased art supplies more.
  • I have a fantastic youth ministry team.
  • And a fantastic family.
  • I purchased a domain name and was invited to go to Africa. I'm still praying about the invite. More to come on the domain name.

No comments: