Friday, December 26, 2008

Remembering 2008...

Last year around this time I reflected on the year, so I thought I would do it again for 2008. So, here is a look back on my year as recorded on this blog...

  • Started my year with a desire to re-arrange my time. I tried for a few weeks to be out of the office on Mondays and Wednesdays in order to get a lot done. However, that only lasted a few weeks.
  • My old truck got a new clutch. I thought I was going to have this truck for a long time, but I sold it in February. I still see it around town which is cool. I had a lot of great memories in that truck. It was with me for 10 years.
  • On January 4, OtherPeopleMatter did it's first project. What a fun ride it's been this year with OPM!
  • This is what I look like when the Chargers win! I also look like this after a close win by the Chargers.
  • I didn't take a picture of myself when they lost!
  • Every kid needs one of these at some point in their life.
  • My friend Josh started to blog on January 7, 2008!
  • This book really challenged me.
  • This year I started using coupons. While I had great intentions, I did fully utilize this site.
  • This quote on the kingdom of God and the church messed me up - authentic relationships make the church relevant!
  • Left for South Africa on February 1. What a great trip. Some great friendships came out of that trip, and it's a trip I will always remember! This trip rocked my world, and it was a ton of work!!! To read more about the trip, click here, here, here, and here (this day was crazy!).
  • Identified qualifications I would look for when hiring a new team member. I would add one more to this list -- a willingness to do whatever it takes to see the church succeed.
  • I bought a new car on February 18, 2008. I signed on the dotted line right when a man from Detroit entered the dealership to buy the car. He drove 3 hours in a snow storm to purchase that car. Here's a picture of my sweet ride! It's still running great and I can fill up on $15! I love it.
  • Began a teaching series on the book of Joshua called Yo-Yo. That was one of my favorite series of the year.
  • I hated my snow shovel last February! I hoped that I would have a new one by now, but I don't. I used my frustration with my snow shovel to talk about a frustration I have with people in ministry. It was a pretty good post.
  • Earn the right to be heard - If you take a new job, don't offer advice or your opinion for one whole year. Just work your butt off!
  • Started watching American Idol. David Cook was my man from the beginning!
  • Gave myself the job title - utility pastor. I'm still using it today even though some people don't like it!
  • Peoples response to the Yo-Yo series was great! They were really digging it!
  • Mallory used an interesting tool to get a bugger out of Elliana's nose!
  • Every Tuesday I was fascinated with American Idol. My wife even interviewed Chris Sligh -- it was a great interview!
  • First time I heard about the "One Prayer" campaign. This was a great series.
  • On April 4, I finally admitted I was addicted to coffee! Still drinking a few cups a day.
  • Deadliest Catch became my new favorite show on Tuesdays after American Idol!
  • I became a member of a Rock Band!
  • Teenagers "facebooked" me from the bus on the way home from Biloxi. Here's what one person said, "Hey Dave, it's me. I'm on the bus. Biloxi really moved me! I will have to say that this was a life changing experience and its changed how I view life and helped me appreciate friends/fam. God is amazing."
  • The Biloxi trip was a HUGE learning experience for me!
  • I still want these to be my work uniforms! I think they would be cool!
  • My daughter Mallory is crazy!
  • Learned some great leadership lessons - "Transparency is the sign of a healthy community. Leaders must lead the way by being transparent. Be vulnerable. Be honest. He open." "If trust is your issue, then openness is your solution."
  • On May 9 I became myself again after a crazy season.
  • My daughter loves dogs! A TON of people left a comment on this post. I have some dog lovers who read this blog! It's going to be a long time until we get a dog!
  • My kitchen got a makeover.
  • Our volunteer appreciation dinner was a blast!
  • My daughter gave a mean look after a little girl pushed her!
  • I loved the new Haworth World Headquarters!
  • I believe in myself - this was one of my favorite posts from 2008!
  • I got a new phone -- I went with the cheap phone, but it only lasted a few hours. I took it back and got the blackberry. I love my blackberry!
  • Made a great video for the graduating class of 2008!!!
  • I got some crap for going on vacation.
  • Tried to lose weight last summer. Didn't really work. I wanted to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks, but I didn't. I'm still at the same weight.
  • Tried to ride my bike to work during the summer. I think I only accomplished this twice! Oh well, at least I tried!
  • July 1 - We are having another girl!!! Surprise. Surprise. Surprise.
  • Posted about this amazing story. To bad it wasn't true. That's was one of my biggest disappointments of 2008.
  • Got a new office. Still waiting for the steak dinner that I won because I secured this new office.
  • On July 25, we got serious about tackling debt. I got so serious I took my shirt off! We are currently at $8,000. That's down from a high of $12,000. Not bad, but still a long way to go. Need to get back to the Finances Friday thing!
  • My girls have a little bit of country in them!
  • August 3 - the worst Sunday of the year for me! This is why I was disappointed, and that led to me asking the question - can a person disappoint God?
  • I had fun playing with this website. Yearbookyourself.com
  • Went on a great date with my daughter Elliana. We made mugs! Later, I went on a date with Mallory. We made a "building bear." I think it's time to go on another date with my daughters.
  • This machine changed my life!
  • Launched the new LVC website. That was a pain in the butt!
  • Launched OtherPeopleMatter.org. Some really cool things have come out of OtherPeopleMatter.org! Like this. And this.
  • I can't wait to be like these old guys!
  • I send a lot of e-mails - From July 7 to October 7 - 776 e-mails. Now it's 1,376 since July 7.
  • I still laugh when I see this video!
  • I learned that guys communicate differently than girls.
  • I want another tattoo, but I don't know what to get!
  • I loved my halloween costume. My wife really came through with the last minute addition of a farmer's tan!
  • I voted for ___________ and received a free coffee from starbucks!
  • People were really upset when I talked about the election here. And I was disappointed by the number of comments when I asked people to pray for President-Elect Obama!
  • Piper Jean came into the world!
  • Blown away by the responsibility of rasing three daughters. Here's what I want them to know.
  • My friend came over to snowblow my driveway. Thanks Matt!
Wow!!! What a year. It's always interesting to look back on the year and see all that happened and discover how God moved in my life. There were some definite highlights from the year -- my trip to africa, my new car, the birth of my daughter, the launch of OtherPeopleMatter, and the transitional time at the vineyard. What a crazy year. But here I am again at the end of the year, and all I can say is God is good! He's faithful, and I'm looking forward to 2009 and what's in store!

4 comments:

MelissaLB said...

I like how you dissected your year like that! Very cool!
Since I don't have a blog, here's mine:
* Started the year visiting New York- also visited St. Louis, Jefferson City, Nashville, and Signal Mountain this past year.
* Learned I can make difficult choices that may be painful in the short term, but rewarding in the long term
* Waded through the difficultly of some tricky relationships- will continue to work on these with love and humility in the next year.
* Figured out how to teach a new subject- economics. Figured out I love it!
* Decided who to vote for. Got a lot of crap. Still figuring out what's the best way to incorporate politics into my non-confrontational personality- will work more on this one in the upcoming year!
* Moved into a brilliant new apartment- got rid of a lot of stuff! Moved on, in many aspects.
* Always talked about what books I wanted to read, but didn't quite read as many as I wanted... will work on this more!
* ALMOST finished my masters degree- a lot of time, and MONEY!
* Spent a lot of time with family and friends = very good! Will work on continuing that and spending more time just with God in the upcoming year!

Josh said...

nice job Dave... very interesting

Anonymous said...

anal retentive Dave?

Dave Roberts said...

Great list Missy. It was a big year for you, and I'm hoping and praying that 2009 will be better!

And to Mr. or Mrs anonymous - yes I am anal-retentive. You're not the first person to tell me that.